Be The Change For Pets- Mom went too far!


This week is Petfinder.com's Adopt-A-Less-Adoptable-Pet Week, a week dedicated to spotlighting those pets that are most often overlooked in shelters. It's all about getting people to take a second glance -- and give a second chance -- to those pets whose only crime is being a little older, the "wrong" color, or otherwise "less adoptable" -- but who have just as much love to give.

Did you know that when I was up for adoption with United Paws, everyone wanted to adopt my momma and my siblings because they were all Siamese?  No one called about me because of my black fur.  Lucky for me, my mom and dad saw me and loved me and brought me home to live with my Siamese momma forever.

So because I know what it's like to be less adoptable because of my fur color,  BlogPaws Be the Change for Pets and I are taking up the cause for the next Be the Change Challenge! We're spreading the word about the many great adoptable pets who sit in shelters for weeks, months, and even years waiting for their forever home while the cute and cuddly kittens and puppies get snapped right up.  But guess what?  We are all cute and cuddly!

So who are these "less adoptable" pets? According to a survey of Petfinder member shelters and rescues the hardest to adopt out pets are senior or older pets, those with health problems (even minor ones), victims of breed prejudice (like Pit Bulls), shy pets, and those that need to be only pets. But that's not all! A lot of people overlook black and brindle dogs and cats as well.
So next time you or a friend are looking to adopt, give these pets a second chance, a little more time and you never know, a less adoptable pet might just be the purrr-fect pet adoption for you!

My Be the Change for Pets Challenge Pledge:

I have posted a "widget" on my side bar featuring an adoptable pet from United Paws, the wonderful people who saved my life.

I'm also posting this link to the BlogPaws Be the Change for Pets Facebook Page. At the end of the week, Be the Change for Pets will tabulate everyone's blog posts, Tweets and Facebook shares so we can see our global impact!

The last Be the Change Challenge raised over 50,000 lbs of pet food and supplies for pets.

So now...why did mom go too far?  I thought writing about all this and featuring adoptable pets would be great.  Then mom went to Petsmart to get kitty litter.  Yeah right.  She came home with this...
As Fin would say "what the fluff"?


This is "Dandi".  He is a 4 year old Daschund mix who was abandoned with 3 other woofies at a home in New Mexico.  He was rescued from death row by a rescue group called Under My Wing Rescue.  There he was with all these woofies in the store.  This little stinker stuck his nose and paws through the kennel area and wooed my dad in 2 seconds flat.  Next thing mom knew dad pulled him out and was cuddling him...and a few minutes after that Grete was in the store meeting him and then mom and dad walked them both together...and after that they signed a foster agreement and he came home.

Did you know that once a dog is past 1-2 years old, people flat-out expect it to be house trained. They consider the dog too old to be trained if they're not house trained by 2?  Well Dandi is not quite house trained.  Mom and dad are working with him.  He deserves a chance at a great home and a wonderful life.

But why did he have to come to my house?