Framed Patriotic Book Cover

A while back I picked up some vintage books to have on hand for various projects. One of them had an eagle and crest debossed on the front cover which I immediately thought would make a great Independence Day decoration. Well, seeing as how it's only four days away I figured I should actually finish it and put it on display!

After ripping off the cover I brushed white paint over the top of the design and wiped the excess off trying to keep some of the paint in the grooves of the design.

IMG_4853


I thought it looked okay, but I wanted red in there, too. So I painted red, let that dry, then painted white over the top again.

IMG_4854


I found a frame (in my stash) that was, thankfully, just the right size. Laying the glass on the book cover I traced it, then used a heavy-duty metal ruler and a Stanley knife to cut it to size.

IMG_6150


For the frame I painted it with white craft paint first, then blue to make sure I would get a bright color. (By the way it was a major pain trying to get the paint deep down into all those crevices around the "carved" designs on the frame.)

IMG_6151


Then I mixed up some light blue paint, dabbed a paper towel in it, and lightly brushed it over the top of the flourishes, corners and edges.

IMG_6152


After that I put the two together and got this--

IMG_6155


IMG_6156


IMG_6158


This may be the extent of my patriotic decor this year, we'll see.

P.S. Why is it that spell check thinks bazillion is a word, but not debossed. Look it up spell checker people!


I'll be linking up to these wonderful blog parties!

Remodelaholic Friday -- The DIY Showoff Project Parade -- Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special -- Sunday Showcase Party -- Flaunt it Friday -- Strut your Stuff Thursday -- Frugal Friday -- Seven Thrity Three -- Weekend Wander -- Wallet-Friendly Wednesday -- Transformation Thursday -- Show Off Your Stuff -- Furniture Feature Friday -- Show and Share Day -- Create and Share -- Get Your Craft On -- Sew Cute Tuesday -- Tip Me Tuesday -- Thrilling Thursday -- Fun with Food Friday -- Take a Look Tuesday -- Saturday is Crafty Day -- It's Fun to Craft! -- Show Me What Ya Got -- A Crafty Soiree -- Tickled Pink Fridays -- Whatever Goes Wednesday -- Craft o Maniac Monday -- Pink Hippo Party -- Craft Catwalk -- Weekend Wrap-up Party -- Let's Get Crafty Saturday -- Catch as Catch Can -- Craftastic Monday -- Friday Flair -- We Did it Wednesday! -- Creative Bloggers Party -- Your Whims Wednesday -- Amaze Me Monday -- Polly Want 2 Party -- I Heart Naptime